How to become a Realtor®
Starting a new career can be scary but we will walk you through it. We offer the resources you need to be successful in your new venture beginning with your Pre-Licensing Education.
To receive a license to sell real estate in Illinois, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old and be a high school graduate or equivalent
- Have successfully completed the required pre-licensing education
- Have passed the state exam
- Secured a sponsoring broker
The Illinois Realtors® offers some online options for real estate brokers, managing brokers and leasing agents. Contact Illinois REALTORS® for more information.
MILITARY DISCOUNTS FOR PRE-LICENSE COURSES
U.S. military veterans who want to start a career in real estate may apply for partial reimbursement of their Illinois REALTORS® pre-license class fees through the GI Bill®. The federal program applies to live pre-license classes provided by Illinois REALTORS® Licensing & Training Center education branches. Online, webinar, and home study courses, as well as courses taken through providers not affiliated with Illinois REALTORS® are ineligible for reimbursement.
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs determines eligibility for GI Bill® benefits. Call (888) 442-4551 to learn if you qualify.
Here’s how it works:
- You must be an eligible U.S. military veteran who meets the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs’ guidelines for the GI Bill®
- Attend a live pre-license class at one of more than 65 participating Illinois REALTORS® Licensing & Training Center classroom branch locations. You will find dates and locations on our Education Calendar.
- Complete and submit the Request for Veterans Benefits form on the Illinois REALTORS® Licensing & Training Center website at IllinoisRealtors.org/GIBill.
Choose the Right Sponsoring Broker
When you pass the real estate exam, you are still going to need a lot of training and guidance. Don’t be afraid to ask a lot of questions when you are interviewing managing brokers. Remember, this is about YOUR future. They will be lucky to have you!
Review the list of our member offices.